Several years ago I worked extensively with homeless people, both in the Salt Lake area and in Boston. I advocated for people who had no ability to advocate for themselves. I gained many friends and learned a lot about the varying circumstances that cause a person or family to be in that type of situation. I even wrote a young adult book on the subject, hoping to open young minds to the fact that homelessness does not usually equal laziness, nor does it necessarily imply that a person is uneducated or unintelligent. It can happen to anyone who falls into desperate financial circumstances and/or poor health (mental or physical) without the support of family, friends, church, or community.
I learned two other things. One applies to all people, everywhere. It is that people want and need to be recognized as equals--as fellow people on this planet. I have heard several homeless people say that if you're not going to give them money, that's okay. Just look into their eyes and make a connection. Acknowledge them as a human being. People crave that. You and I get it every day. Some people go long periods of time without it. That is devastating and tragic.
The other thing I learned applies to the Salt Lake area--I'm not sure about other areas of the country (I gave money to a guy in Seattle and a family in Phoenix because I didn't know what their options were). There is food available to those who need it, and there aren't too many requirements to be met in order to get it. No one need ever go a day without a meal, as long as they are willing to show up on time and refrain from swearing at or physically attacking others. I believe in many places, that weapons have to be left at the door. There is shelter available too, particularly when the nights are getting cold. Maybe even tonight. Shelter is a little harder to get, since you can't be abusing any kind of substance while you're taking advantage of said shelter.
Even homelesss community advocates will tell you that giving money to people on the street is usually not a good idea. It generally goes to buy substances that decrease the individual's opportunity rather than open doors. Members of the LDS Church have been cautioned in general conference meetings to avoid giving money to people who beg around Temple Square. Resources are available, and most people have a pretty extensive knowledge of what they are and where they can be found. "Word on the street" is not just a cool phrase. The main reason that type of giving is discouraged? It's a scam. Plain and simple. They're trying to con people who are five minutes away from having been told to "do as Jesus would do" into giving them money. Forgive me, but I don't think Jesus bought drugs and alcohol for others. I also have my doubts about whether or not all that dirt you have on your face is real. Again, forgive my cynicism. It's just that I've been around the block, so to speak, and I've heard some things about how this works.
When I see people begging on the street, I make an effort to smile at them and say hello. I meet their eyes with mine. I say I'm sorry, because I want them to know I'm sorry for their situation, and I'm sorry I won't be able to help them in the way they think they need to be helped. When someone says "God bless you," I return the blessing, because I honestly hope He will. Possibly He already has.
And so, to the gentleman who berated me most rudely for smiling at him last night as I passed him at the corner of North Temple and Main Street, I say that there is something to smile about, and it's not the fact that you're in dire straits. I'm smiling because you're my brother, and I want you to know that I recognize you. I'm smiling because I just attended an inspirational meeting that lifted my spirits, and I want to lift yours. I don't think my dollar will actually do that as well as a smile. I'm smiling because you and I both know that what you're doing is a scam. And I'm smiling because I know that whatever your situation is, and whatever mine is, something much better is coming. I hope it's soon.
2 comments:
You have articulated something I have thought about a lot--and I like that you have experience to back it up. This is a thoughtful and insightful post. I absolutely respect and agree with your position. So, the title of your post--is that what the man said to you? Huh.
You have a really good heart. I am glad you are my friend.
Post a Comment