Wednesday, July 30

I know heavy metal is true

So I was at the airport picking Lola up, waiting in the security screening line, when a bunch of people came up behind me. They were all dressed in black, all heavily tattooed, and well, to be honest, they looked very much like this:


A woman in line in front of them said, "Aren't you guys flying first class?" I thought that was an odd question to pose to such an unlikely looking bunch, but one of the guys said, "Yeah," and the woman pointed to the much shorter line they were supposed to be in. They thanked her and started to move into the other line, when a TSA guy came running up, all smiles, to help them on their way.

Strange things are afoot at the Salt Lake International Airport, I thought.

Then I noticed that every other person in line with me simultaneously got their phones out and held them up/started texting. Then I noticed that some of the people in line with me were kind of jumping up and down, all excited like. Everyone was quiet, but there was definitely something in the air.

The scary goth people moved toward the security check, where TSA employees started running over and shaking their hands. That's never happened to me. Also, they were smiling a lot. That's never happened to me either.

Then I noticed that one of the bald guys with not as many tattoos and only a plain black t-shirt was hauling all the carry-on luggage for the entire group.

My powers of perception told me that this was a band, traveling to the next stop on their tour.

When I got up to the security check, I asked the guy, "So who's the band?"

He very kindly did not laugh in my face. Old ladies are often ignorant of cool things. "Motley Crue," he said.

"Huh. You're kidding me." I said. I thought those guys were a lot older. Like my age. These guys looked young.

"Yeah. That guy right there--that's Tommy Lee," he said.

"Wow. No kidding," I said. Whoever that is. And then, inexplicably, I got chills.

Chills. I'm not even joking. Exactly like the ones I got when I heard the Free the Birdies story, or that one about the Armies of Satan parked on the lawn in front of the MTC.

That's when I knew I'd be standing in Fast and Testimony meeting this Sunday with one heck of a story to share. And adding to my "music" collection.

2 comments:

Natalie Gordon said...

Okay, I know that the Scorpions are true. I'm not so sure about Motley Crue.

Also, I read the Free the Birdies story. And, they had me until Jesus tells Brian to slay the alligators. What? I am not getting that.

I can't wait to get a report from F&T meeting.

Steve, Amy and Company said...

Perfect timing, tomorrow being the first Sunday in the month. And don't tell anybody this, because he's really not my type, but I think Tommy Lee is hot. Shh!!