Thursday, August 18

A whole lot o' nothin' goin' on.

So I haven't had a whole lot to say over the last few days. I've suddenly become addicted to shopping on eBay. So far I've purchased some shoes, school clothes for Taylor, and a leather case for Bret's Palm Pilot. Also one of those cool latex bands you use with yoga and Pilates.

Oddly enough, this shopping frenzy began at the same time that I made a quadruple batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and began eating said dough out of the fridge in large chunks. This way I don't have to share with anyone, because I've scared the kids to death about raw eggs. Too hot to turn the oven on, anyway.

Also, Bret is in Canada and apparently they have no intention of giving him back. He was supposed to be back tonight, but they aren't letting him out of the country. Cancelled flights, full flights, and a bunch of other lame excuses. I plead with him over and over again to pack more underwear, but would he listen? "This will be enough," he insisted. Now he's singing a different tune, I can tell you, rinsing out the old pair in the sink of some airport bathroom.

Does this all add up to mean I am suffering from major depression? I don't feel depressed. I have all those endorphins and stuff from the Pilates, so my serotonin levels should be fine. Maybe I just needed a week to shop and eat and pine for my expatriot husband.

5 comments:

Nemesis said...

Poor Bret, is he home yet?

Also, do you guys want to buy a brand-new never-been-opened Dell printer by any chance?

Cicada said...

Curse those wiley Canadians!

And toss some of that cookie dough over my way.

daltongirl said...

Come and get it, Cicada. Also baked brie is waiting for you. Tell Nemesis to pull herself together and quit eating chocolate with her mom and bring you over here for the good stuff. I will even hack down past all the crusty, dried out cookie dough for the choicest morsels, just for you.

Also, allow me to further sweeten the deal. If you will come and visit me, it will be in my power to provide you with some double-stick tape.

And no, I don't think I really need a BNIB Dell printer, but thanks.

Bret finally made it home. They let him out when he made some pointed threats about bringing his whole family up to take advantage of the health care system. The wiley Canadians knew a losing deal when they saw it. The medications alone would drive the country bankrupt in less than a year.

MamaJ said...

Hmmm. Shopping... Eating binge... too hot to bake... Husband AWOL... Sounds like depression to me. You can call and commiserate with me if you'd like.

If I were like "Topper" from the Dilbert comic strip, I'd top your story by saying: "You think you've got it bad? At least you have the strength to DO pilates; at least your kids can GO to school; at least you HAVE a husband." But not being the angry, bitter type (okay so I am), I'll just say that I hope that you get some excitement back in your life, and I hope those endorphins keep doing their job.

(The chocolate is probably helping too. I could use one of those big huge chocolate bars right now.)

Cicada said...

Daltongirl,

Don't even get me started on health care. At least when you get salmonella poisoning from eating cookie dough in Canada, you can get it treated for free (when free = you lose half your pay check in taxes).

Also, there was this one time that I used the wrong passport when I was going to the States from Canada. I used my Canadian passport and declared that I was going to the States to get a job and go to college. I figured if they had a problem, they would say something.

Instead, they confiscated my Canadian passport and said, "Follow me, please." They brought me into this small and scary room where there was no one to talk to me, and I was going to miss my flight. Finally I found some woman, and I marched up to her and I said very forcefully, "I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN. Is there ANY reason that I should BE here?" So she checked my American passport, ran and got my Canadian passport, and released me.