Our anniversary traditions include going to one of the nine Utah temples (or another temple if we're out of town--last year we went to Baton Rouge), and staying in a B&B. This year for number five, we are going to stay away for two (2) nights and plan on having a whole lot of fun.
The temples we have not yet visited in Utah are: Monticello, Vernal, Bountiful, and Ogden. Sadly, Monticello is too far to drive and still have enough money to pay for lodging. Ogden doesn't appeal. That leaves the cute little Vernal Temple
or lovely Bountiful.

So now we have to decide whether or not there's anything to do in Vernal that will make it worth going there, and whether there's a decent place to stay. It appears that there is a nice place to stay.
Historical, inexpensive, with decent-looking rooms. Unfortunately, as I looked at information about the place on another Web site, I saw that the featured room had steer horns over the bed. That scared me a little. With our luck, that's the one we'd get. Also, I'm not sure I want to spend two days in Dinosaur National Monument and Flaming Gorge, Wyoming in November. The Bountiful Temple is looking better and better. We don't have to stay there. There's always Salt Lake. Just for the heck of it, I searched for some B&Bs in our fair capital. I thought they'd all be really expensive, but bingo!
For the same amount as a room in Vernal with steer horns over the bed, or a room in Bluff with Navajo blankets on the walls, we get this lovely room with a fireplace, fresh flowers, and a hot tub. The home was originally built by George Cannon, to house all his wives I guess, so it's Victorian and lovely and peaceful looking. Renovated just a few years ago, and located conveniently in Sugarhouse. Here's what clinched the deal. Harry Potter 4 comes out on day two of our stay. I don't even know if Vernal has a theater.
So we're excited. I should put a countdown on here like Nemesis has. Only eight weeks to go!
8 comments:
What about a hot tub shaped like the state of Delaware? Is that worth $200?
We're saving up to be able to see Harry Potter and Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe in the REAL theater when they come out. We usually do it like twice a year--this'll have to be it.
Happy anniversary almost!
When I first read it, I thought that you said that your tradition is to visit ALL NINE Utah temples. I thought, "Ah, geez. This is going to be somma that overboard religious stuff!" (Okay, that's an exaggeration mostly, but still---I did think it was a little overboard.) I'm glad to see that you just choose ONE temple. Also, I saw the title, "Anniversary Inn" and I saw the picture of the Vernal temple and I thought that was a little funny, too. "There's an inn... that looks sortof like a temple..."
Yeah, you SHOULD get a countdown like mine. You can just steal the source code from my page, or I can email it to you. And I think you should use the picture of the bed in the room as the image for the countdown.
Delaware . . . now THAT would be worth $200. But don't you think it might be a little uncomfortable?
Cicada, your post reminded me (for some reason) of those people that were going up to the Mt. Timp Temple while it was under construction and trying to conceive babies in the temple. Or the other people that go to the temple while they're in labor so they can deliver in the temple. Trying to go to all nine Utah temples in one day would only be slightly less weird.
Nem, what do you think I should put as a header for my picture of a bed with a countdown? Just wondering. I guess it would be even funnier if it was a countdown to our wedding day, which I definitely suggest you do once you find your hot British dude.
Holycowwhat? Conceiving babies in the temple? I'm already regretting asking...
Yeah. This guy I was dating was in the Timp Temple district, and he was part of a group who went up to volunteer to guard the construction site because people were sneaking in and having sex in the uncompleted building.
Then this guy I used to work with at I.S. who was a temple worker also told me that they started asking people not to come in their seventh month of pregnancy, because lots of people would try to time their delivery for when they were in the temple.
Obviously your child will be more righteous and blessed if his or her conception/delivery was on hallowed ground. Too bad you didn't think of this before Jella was born. Or conceived. Then she might not be flipping the camera off all the time.
Oh yeah, and on a similar note, I had this friend that took her wedding invitations to the printer and they said, "Marriage consummated in the Oakland Temple." Only in that case it was a mistake. She just didn't know the word should have been "solemnized." They both sound pretty serious.
Unfortunately, the printer called and asked about it before they actually made up the invitations. I thought it would have been a lot funnier if they had gone out that way.
Thanks for the information. Makes me want to leave Utah even sooner. Maybe I just won't graduate and we'll move tomorrow.
Post a Comment