Monday, March 6

In Which I Put My Foot in My Mouth During a Trip to the Mall

Lola: Hey, Mom! Do you want to go to Lane Bryant?

Me (very offended): Are you saying I'm fat?

L: No. Do you want to go there?

Me (still very offended): No. I don't think so. [In haughtiest voice I can muster] Their smallest size is too big for me.

L (snorts): Really?

Me: What the heck? ARE you saying I'm fat? That's a FAT store.

L: No. Stepmom shops there.

Me: Oh.

Right.

Well.

Oops.

I feel sheepish. Lola continues to snort and laugh. Stepmom is not her favorite person. She's not my favorite person either, but I generally try to be supportive. This time, however, I have innocently stoked the fire by allowing my own feelings of self doubt to cause me to say rude things about others. Must learn to tame the raging insecurity beast.

5 comments:

stupidramblings said...

Nice. I hope little Lola has learned something...

Cicada said...

What disturbs me is that the clothes at Lane Bryant are really cute, too large for me, and yet still look much better on the Lane Bryant models than any clothes look on me. So I guess I just don't have it in me to be a plus-size model or a minus-size model.

lola49 said...

well, my mom get that? MOM. is right, she's not my favorite person ,and it's okay MOM.

Natalie Gordon said...

I (who adore you, raging insecurity beast and all) went to the Lane Bryant web page to see if the clothes came in my size (I have a raging insecurity beast, too). The models I saw in my brief perusal of the web catalog were all tiny little people in big clothes. I'm sure that not all of Lane Bryant's models are size 6, but I was discouraged. There is a point here, somewhere -- I'm just not making it very well!

daltongirl said...

Uh, Stupid? I guess you can see she didn't learn a whole lot. But she felt bad that I felt dumb. That was something.

Natgo: I went to that Web site, and you're right. They use tiny people. That don't make NO sense. And there's no way you could fit into any of those clothes--you're WAY too skinny. Also, they appear to have lowered their minimum size since I last shopped there. Now I feel doubly sheepish. I guess some of those clothes would fit me after all.

Dangit! Time to go eat some cookie dough.