When we moved out to the country when I was in fifth grade, my mom had this idea about living off the land, and part of that meant raising goats for milk. So we got a couple of goats. I joined 4-H, and the fun began.
1. Goat's milk tastes just like cow's milk, as long as you don't keep a buck and doe in the same vicinity. Starting off, we never kept bucks, so the milk was delicious. My dad built a little milking stand, and my mom or I (later mostly I) would go out of a morning and an evening and milk the goat. In the summertime, I liked to sleep in. I was a teenager. My mom worked. I can do a great imitation of the various stages a goat goes through as she becomes more and more desperate to be relieved of her milk throughout the day.
2. My mom decided it would be educational for me in the 6th or 7th grade to go with her to have the goat bred. In retrospect, that might have actually been a mistake. Fascinating experience and all, but I think I may have been traumatized by watching the doe, who was tethered, trying to escape the buck, who was suddenly reavealing certain portions of his anatomy that were quite alarming. What is that stupid rhyme all about, anyway? Nanny, nanny, nanny goat, can't catch a billy goat? From what I've seen, she doesn't want anything to do with a billy goat. And neither do I, quite frankly.
3. Some goats are possessed of the devil. When The Kid Heather was born, she immediately demonstrated demonic tendencies. That's why we named her Heather, actually, after a little girl I babysat that was . . . difficult. (Now she's grown up to be a beautiful, charming, sweet woman, and I regret any thoughts I may have had about killing her four-year-old self.) Anyway, The Kid Heather's sole purpose in life was to destroy mine by dragging me over rusty nails, raking my chest with her little cloven hooves, etc. I still have scars--inside and out.
4. Some people get too attached to their goats, and are unable to choke down the meat. My sister is such a tender individual. After Heather, I had no trouble at all relishing the roasts, the chops, the steaks, the ribs, you name it. In fact, I think I remember cackling maniacally one time as we ate, and my sister sat there and cried. (Fortunately, by the time we had the first one slaughtered, my mom's dream of living off the land was somewhat shattered, so we didn't have to tan the hide and make it into shoes for ourselves.)
5. Twenty years after I left goat husbandry behind, a woman in church decided to introduce the children to goat cheese--to help them learn what Jesus ate. I was lucky enough to be involved with the children at that time. She passed around this brown, rancid-smelling, putrid-tasting, consistency-of-rubber stuff that literally made me retch. I had never eaten goat cheese before, and I haven't had it since.
6. My good friend Sakhmet, who is to be trusted in all things yummy, told me she liked the goat cheese. In fact, she told me it was her favorite. At the time, remembering, I retched again. But being an open-minded individual, I decided I should try it again. I bought some, and it has been sitting in my refrigerator for a couple of months. I check the expiration date occasionally, so I'll have an excuse to throw it out when that day comes. But today something happened. Something very special. In the absence of any palatable cold cereal, I searced the fridge for some suitable breakfast fare. The chevre caught my eye. "Why not?" I thought. I could always rinse with Listerine afterward if necessary. And it was delicious! I love the goat cheese!
I WILL eat it in a house!
I will eat it with a mouse!
I will eat it in the rain,
I will eat it on a train.
I will eat it here or there,
I will eat it EVERYWHERE!
I've come full circle, I think. Sakhmet, thank you. Heather, may you rest in peace.
Maaa!
6 comments:
Point 1. Stay tuned next week when daltongirl imitates a Wallaby who has appndicitis.
2. Eeeesh! Some thing should be reserved for later in a child's life.
3. Maybe The Kid Heather's violence was what caused the appendicitis in the first place.
4. I had the same problem when my neighbor decided to eat my pet dog Speck.
5. Bleu cheese is made of goat's milk, isn't it. If goat cheese tastes like bleu cheese without the mold, I would think it would be wonderful.
6. Licorice made me retch as a youngster. I think that's because I had bad experiences with the nasty strong candy kinds. Natural licorice is actually quite tasty--but I didn't find it until much later in life...
Hooray! You love goat's cheese! All I'm saying is that if Jesus had to eat goat's cheese, then Jesus had it good.
I am glad you only had one appendix. I am also glad you ate your pets. I am glad you are normal.
Limon: Not pets. Livestock. Big difference. Some people in our family were too immature to make that distinction. And I've been told more times than I can count that it's a wonder I'm normal, but I'm glad about it too.
Cicada: If Jesus had to eat that brown, rubbery stuff, I feel very, very sorry for Him, because I don't think that was included in His original agreement.
Stupid: I think the appendicitis probably was more due to a vicious attack I survived by the possessed ram (sheep--Mom wanted to make wool). More on that later.
My family tried having a goat once. Then my dad decided that she needed to go after she climbed up on his Harley and ate the lining of his motorcycle helmet. Unfortunately, before we could sell her she either ran away or was stolen and eaten by our neighbors.
The most traumatic experience in my husband's life involves a goat. In first grade, his class went to a petting zoo. A hungry little goat ate his nametag RIGHT OFF HIS SHIRT, and then his teacher got all pissy at him for losing his nametag, and told him that he was lucky she was letting him back on the bus. He still lives in fear of petting zoos - that something traumatic will happen and he'll have to stay there. The upside is, then people would have the opportuntiy to see what it's like to pet a 34 year old man (that sounds dirty, but it's not).
Post a Comment