Wednesday, April 19

I am a quitter

Exhibit A: I tire of the daily "poetry." I dub April 1-15 "National Poetry Half-Month." I think I ended a couple of days early, even.

Exhibit B: Allow me to recount (employing plenty of poetic license) a conversation that took place earlier today between Cicada and me.

Cicada: I really want some cookies.

Daltongirl: Mmm. Cookies. Me too. But I won't.

Cicada: Cookies.

DG: I'm not going to eat cookies. I'm starting to feel bad again, and I will do anything--ANYTHING (voice rises to hysterical shriek) to avoid another juice fast from Hell.

Cicada: Hmm. Well, I guess I won't talk about cookies anymore then. That would be rude.

DG: Don't worry about me. I am strong. I will not eat the cookies.

Cicada: blah blah blah, blah blah

DG: blah, blah, blah blah blah

Later

Cicada: Cookies.

DG: And yet I am unmoved.

Much later.

Daltonboy: Do we have any cookies? I sure could use a cookie or something.

DG: Really? I'll go make some.

DB: Oh, you don't have to do that.

DG: No, really, it'll just take a second . . .

So we're poetry free and chock full of cookies. I can't think of anything better, really. And all I had to sacrifice was my integrity. And some butter, flour, peanut butter, and sugar. And one egg.

3 comments:

Cicada said...

And you didn't sacrifice the gas and time to drive me over a batch of cookies, you heartless hypocrite! Sure, you'll do anything for Daltonboy but are you there for me in my time of need? No. No, you are not. Obstinate headstrong girl! I am ashamed of you.

daltongirl said...

Cicada: I am only resolved to act in that manner which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you.

Also, I was under the impression that you had gone, on your own, to the Cookie Store, to purchase the most delicious cookies in the world for your sole consumption. And you never offered to get on the bus and bring me any of those, either. Who's obstinate and headstrong now?

Sakhmet: Yes.

MamaJ said...

It was a selfless act. Period. You were doing your husband a kindness. And who would want to eat cookies alone? Not I (well, maybe sometimes). So you ate some cookies with him - for the sake of family togetherness. Feel no guilt. Enjoy the chocolate, or the peanut butter, or whatever. Live life to the fullest (and I mean FULLEST).

Good. Now I won't have to feel guilt for having to stealthly get rid of (i.e., eat) all evidence of the remainder of 4 bags of Easter candy. This is a selfless act on my part too, since my children still believe in the Easter bunny, and everyone knows that the Easter bunny wouldn't leave bags of candy lying around.