Tuesday, May 23

He is an amazing athlete!

As if we needed one more reason to love Homestar Runner, I want everyone to know that there is one more company in the world that understands the concept of customer service as well as Disney does.

Daltonboy ordered me a t-shirt for Christmas. It was too big. I sent it back according to the exchange instructions on the packing slip. My new shirt never came. Finally, yesterday, I realized I'd never gotten my new shirt. I emailed Homestar's customer service department and asked if they had received the shirt. They were apologetic (they didn't say whether or not they ever received the shirt from me five months ago), said they no longer have the size I wanted, and asked what I wanted instead--a different shirt, or a refund. No other questions asked. I said I wanted a different shirt,
only the one I want costs more. I offered to pay the difference. Not necessary, they said, and shipped the shirt that very day.

That is good customer service. I guess Bubs doesn't run the online store.

In sharp contrast, one of my kids racked up quite a bill with a certain medical-type office last year. After about six months of thinking my insurance was going to pay for everything, they came to me and told me by the way, the insurance wasn't going to pay anything and asked for $x,000, due immediately. I said I didn't happen to have $x,000 on me, and asked if we could work out a payment plan. We worked up a contract, which I signed. I have stuck to that plan faithfully, paying every month on the same day. Yesterday, out of the blue, I received a statement from them, indicating that I had a balance of $x, and that if I didn't pay it within a week, and if they had to send me another statement, they were going to fine me. Right. I called and set them straight, but they offered no apology for being total jerks from the very beginning. Also they didn't even thank me for paying my balance.

That is not good customer service.

Homestar will continue to receive my business. So will Disney. Those other people will not. I think someone has learned a valuable lesson: Buy Homestar products and wear them to Disneyland, and you won't need therapy.

5 comments:

AmyJane said...

I'll vouch for Disney customer service. My little brother once left his prized Tigger hat (not even purchased at Disneyland) in the seat pocket of Indiana Jones, we checked lost and found several times to no avail, my mom called the next day to see if they had located it, and within a week he recieved a similar, brand new Tigger hat, which they had even embroidered his name on!
Also, this other time, we had a bad experience at Fantasmic! with the seating situation. Basically my mom had saved a chunk of space all afternoon for all the little kids in our party only to have three huge, fat biker dudes plop their butts in front of us and refuse to move. The cast member nearby was very not helpful so my mom wrote to Disney and politely complained about the seating in general and the cast member in specific. They wrote back and sent three day passesfor the next summer for our whole family--there are 9 of us!
Yeah. We like those people a lot.

daltongirl said...

I had an unpleasant experience at Fantasmic! once. Unfortunately, I think I was mostly in the wrong. But I wasn't going to sit in anyone's seat, or do anything to inconvenience anyone, except to ask them to let me pass through. Anyway, a person was very, very rude to me, and then I cried through the entire show. So I don't like Fantasmic! anymore. sob! I wonder if Disney will send me free passes--doubtful.

David Rodeback said...

DG, you are my guru of haberdashery. I'm going to recommend "Support the Municipality" shirts for all elected American Fork officials, as the appropriate attire in this time of looming but (alas!) necessary tax increases.

Also, as always, I wish to drink deeply of your profound subtlety and engaging wit, and so must ask: Who is the amazing athlete in your title? The animated Homestar Runner on his/her/its web site's splash screen? The dashing DaltonBoy, consort of a major league yard-shopper? Some helpful customer service dude, who jumped through hoops, defied the seductive shade of mediocrity and actually served the customer? The late Walt Disney, peace be upon him? The medical-type accountant who unapologetically leaped yawning chasms of arithmetic, human feeling, and common sense? Guide me, please.

Cicada said...

Oh, that story about the medical institution is so infuriating! Please write them a letter!

daltongirl said...

dr: any one of those would work, but I was thinking of Homestar, because he is a self-proclaimed amazing athlete. So far I haven't seen him do anything amazing except make me laugh real hard, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

cicada: I've already discussed my issues with my friend that works there (and is not in charge of billing). She is thinking of quitting and starting her own practice--that should show them.