Yesterday was my birthday, and I received such an outpouring of well wishes that I went to bed feeling, well, overwhelmed.
One of the five-year-olds in Primary expressed utter disbelief and consternation that I would have to take charge of Sharing Time on my birthday. That was very cute, and exhibited a great deal of maturity, I thought--especially since my (much older) kids don't really have a problem with me doing everything, including making my own birthday dinner. Other kids kept coming up to me and shyly whispering "Happy Birthday," which was also adorable.
My family all secreted themselves in the bedroom and wrapped gifts together. Tonight I will be watching the new P&P, starring the incomparably pouty Keira Knightley. I will also be enjoying numerous scrapbooking activities this afternoon with all my cool new stuff.
My dear mother-in-law thoughtfully added to my burgeoning Scottie dog collection, and I had sweet phone calls all day long.
One of my favorite gifts was from Nemesis, Cicada, and Sakhmet. They all pitched in to buy me a couple of volumes of The Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women, published circa 1963. An absolute treasure! So far I've learned that the back end of a station wagon makes a "most elegant chuck wagon." Also, "nothing is safer [when hosting a barbecue] than the omnipresent sparerib," which Cicada pointed out is a lot better than the omniscient sparerib, which might not be safe at all.
I now know why I have no poise and self confidence. I will share with you, so you can avoid the pitfalls. So many years wasted! "I know a quite beautiful woman university professor who never manages to look as attractive as she could because she persists in believing that navy blue is "almost" black, and therefore a slight mismatching of shoes and gloves will not matter. Of course it matters." And there's where I have failed. Confession: I often wear black shoes with navy blue skirts or pants. And gloves! Don't get me started. I only hope it's not too late.
Daltonboy told me that attempting to express his appreciation for me with material gifts was inadequate. I sympathized, and told him it was okay to keep trying.
That was fun! Let's do it all again next Sunday, shall we?
5 comments:
I am so pleased to have found such a treasure for you! And I wish that I could be as omnipresent as a sparerib. If I were, I'd watch P&P with you tonight because I still haven't seen it.
Well, now I feel like my card for you from the Captain Underpants collection on Dav Pilkey's website pales in comparison.
And THAT is why I'll never be poised and self-confident.
I am glad that this next year of your life will be one free from fashion faux pas and navy blue no-no's. Best wishes!
DG, happy birthday! (a little late). I can't believe you're already 28, when you look and write so young! Next year, you should warn faithful readers a few days in advance so that (a) we can wish you happy birthday in more creative ways and on time, and (b) so that we can remain too lazy to calendar even this auspicious an occasion.
Also, beware the *omnipotent* sparerib, which is essentially the Voldemort of the spare rib world. The Omnipresent SR is just a pest, and the Omniscient SR an insufferable know-it-all. In a backyard brawl, I'd bet on the spare-rib-who-must-not-be-named every time.
DG, Happy Late Birthday. It sounds like it was a lovely day. Best wishes for the next year.
what did you think of the new P&P
Post a Comment