Friday, August 12

Out with the old, in with the new

Remember a few weeks ago, when I purchased the Home Maintenance System with my car money? Here's what I was driving, and was conditionally committed to drive until tax return time next year.

Exhibit A


Remember too, how I said that I would probably end up getting whatever I wanted anyway? Well, my sweet husband decided to help me out by ignoring the screaming brake problem so that it would cost more than the van was worth to fix it. While I was on vacation last week, he determined it was too scary to drive the thing any longer. He was right. (I was afraid I was going to have to walk the last half-mile to the dealership.) Also, the transmission is about to fall out the bottom any second. So, when I got home, I took it down to see about getting it fixed. For about $3000 we could have most of the problems corrected. I was not too excited about this. Or, for about $3000, I could be driving this.

Exhibit B


Only a great fool would not choose the car in Exhibit B. I am not a great fool, so I clearly did not choose Exhibit A. Power everything, leather interior, six CD changer, awesome speakers, arctic A/C, sunroof, great pickup, keyless entry, large trunk, leg room in back. And I even like the color. Olive silver. Slightly more green than the one that's shown here. Beeautiful.

Now all I have to do is work through this guilt complex for being such a spoiled brat. No doubt it will pass, and more quickly than it should.

6 comments:

daltongirl said...

Nemesis, you get bonus points if you can correctly identify the three movies referenced in this post.

Nemesis said...

Child's Play!

1. "I am not a great fool," etc. = The Vizzini riff from A Princess Bride

2. "And I even like the color" = His Excellency in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3. "Beeeautiful" and "no doubt it will pass" = Lizzy and Mr. Bennet in P&P

So what do I win? And how in the world did you only play $3000 for such a nice car?

daltongirl said...

Dangit. I thought sure I'd stumped you with that Indiana Jones line.

You win a ride in my car and an invitation to eat brie with me. As well as a tee-shirt fitting. As soon as your sister is well, YOU may name the day.

The car is a 99. But it looks and acts brand new. Yay, me!

Nemesis said...

Gosh! This is pretty much the best thing I've ever won! I didn't find the Indy quote until the very end and was starting to feel a little bit panicked. Whew!

Cicada said...

Yeah, I was really impressed with the Indy quote, too. Good job. Uh... can I get some of that brie even if I didn't play?

daltongirl said...

Yeah, you should both come over for brie on Wednesday night. My family won't eat it all, so I will have to share or let it rot. We can have pie, too, since it will be pie night.