I may have written before about this little historical reenaction thing we do every summer. To quote my favorite councilwoman, "This is the best thing our city does." It's at the cemetery, and mostly celebrates the lives of people who are buried there, in addition to the history of the area in general. There are also wagon rides, local entertainment, and pioneer crafts. This year the stories were all about the founders of our fair city. Some people are a bit put off about it at first, being in the graveyard and all, but almost everyone comes away feeling good about it, and thinking it's pretty cool. Our cemetery is beautiful, and this is one way to get people to feel comfortable there.Lola and I demonstrated rug twining, I wrote a vignette or two, and daltonboy was the event photographer. In spite of being rained out the last day, we had a great time, and everything went well. That's me above, wearing the bonnet I made with $4 and pure genius.
Lola, demonstrating the rug twining. By the last night, we were more than halfway done with the rug. It's going to look so lovely on the floor next to my bed!I also took orders for frames and instructions that people wanted. Daltonboy will make the frames, and hopefully won't charge the people an arm and a leg.
Lola didn't do a ton of weaving. She was leaving town the next morning, so spent a little time with me, and a lot of time with her friends, some of whom she only sees once a year at this event.
And here, in the middle of a bunch of graves, is daltonboy's "studio," where people could come and dress up in pioneer clothes and have their pictures made. You can see the backdrop that we painted (and I almost ruined, and then we worked on it some more and got it to look decent). The old-timey photos he took turned out really cute.So that was it. I'm glad it's over. DB has been obssessing about this photo thing for months. Now maybe he can leave off the camera and clean up the patio or something. We'll see!
Next year, I'm hoping to be able to set up a little pioneer milliner's shop, and make hats and bonnets to sell. What did a bonnet go for in 1855? About 75 cents. Somehow, I don't think I'm going to make a profit.
7 comments:
You look sooooooo cute!
And what do you mean that "almost everyone comes away feeling good about it"? Are there any people who don't come away feeling good about it? Are there people who just can't handle being in the cemetery?
Just curious.
I bet the guy that hears dead people doesn't leave feeling good. Which is discouraging, because you'd think the dead people would be saying, "Man, this is fun. I love it when all these people come and visit - and they're remembering us! Yay!"
Well, yeah, I guess mostly I was referring to the guy who hears dead people. And Natgo, you hit the nail on the head, except after they get done being all excited that people are visiting them, they start in telling the guy that they have good stories too, and complaining that no one ever remembers THEM personally. So I guess it's a downer for him. But for everyone else, it's a feel-good kind of experience, I think.
So the solution is obvious, isn't it? Invite TGWHDP to write some scripts for next year.
Maybe when you've recovered from the stress and strain of this historical reenactment, you can write one about the time the PTA Health Commissioner ran around like a crazy person giving people wedgies. I'd like to be the Health Commissioner in that one.
.
Backdrop looks great! I'm impressed.
Good heavens, woman! Post something new, already!
Post a Comment