
Yesterday I canned 100 lbs. of tomatoes. What can I say? I am a goddess. Is it too much to hope that I will soon be recognized as such?
The thing that makes this acomplishment even cooler is that I grew the plants--from seeds. Well, most of them, anyway. Some of the seedlings died as soon as I put them in the ground, so I had to buy replacements. But we won't dwell on that. We will also neglect to dwell on the fact that I accidentally fertilized the plants with lawn fertilizer, which made them not produce as much as they could have. That's why I had to have twenty-seven plants. They were lovely and green and leafy, but not too much fruit. Live and learn.
My recommendation to anyone attempting the same is to make sure your swamp cooler doesn't break the night before canning day. Holy cow, it got hot in this house. I'm still trying to cool it down.
And the bushes are still producing, so maybe I'll get a batch of salsa in soon.
Oh. P.S. Lola helped.
8 comments:
Cool! I was just remembering the other day about how my mom used to can tons of produce when I was a kid. One of my favorite things she did was canned apricots with pineapple chunks. Yum! Maybe when we have a real house with a kitchen that includes counter space I will can again. It's hard work, but very satisfying.
You are a goddess, and I am a slug. My tomatoes are upstairs in a big box, next to the giant bag of plums. I have a sore-throat, a stuffy nose and absolutely no motivation!
I can't wait until fall.
I can already taste the blog-party spaghetti...
Wow! You ARE a goddess. And you're really smart. And absolutely gorgeous. And just an amazing Pampered Chef hostess. (Does this move me 'n AW up any in the who-do-I-give-all-this-salsa-to queue?)
Oh foxy, you are my role model! (Note to self: make yogurt today.)I hope your new, cool apartment has tons of counter space. One of the great things about getting a place sight unseen is that you can hope for something really fabulous.
natgo: Do you need me to come and can your stuff for you? Because I will. That's how much I love you. Next question: do you have central air or swamp cooler? Did I mention it's HOT here?
stupid: I was just thinking about what yummy spaghetti I could make. Unfortunately, I am not eating gluten right now. That means no pasta. But we could sip the sauce . . .
whiterabbit: You are definitely first on the list. Actually, you're the only one on the list, since no one else has expressed interest. Did I mention I grew more jalapenos than tomatoes? The salsa is on the "warm" side.
I'm just glad you didn't make us eat all the 100 lbs of tomatoes in our salsa the other night. I know you were trying to make Sahkmet cut up more!
it got hot in this house. I'm still trying to cool it down.
You could always go tubing down the river...
.
No one mentioned how pretty they are.
Post a Comment