Wednesday, August 2

Ten Chick Flicks

every man should be familiar with--at least enough to quote the more memorable lines. In no particular order, except for number one. If you not man enough to see more than one, this should be it.

1. Pride and Prejudice (BBC version is a must--2005 Hollywood version if you can take more)
2. Emma
3. Sense and Sensibility
4. Steel Magnolias
5. Return to Me
6. Sleepless in Seattle/An Affair to Remember
7. You've Got Mail
8. Enchanted April
9. Little Women
10. Somewhere in Time

I realize the list is not comprehensive. Please feel free to add your own must-sees.

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

Agreed. Especially with #s 1, 4, 8, and 9.

I might also add "Gone with the Wind." Some people I know (ahem, my husband) would be quick to call just about any movie with many female characters in hoop skirts, that is long enough to have an intermission, and has, despite an underlying war theme, characters who fall in love a chick flick.

Also maybe those Sanda Bullock flicks like "While You Were Sleeping" and "Miss Congeniality."

Cicada said...

Speaking of Sandra Bullock flicks, I know several men who love Two Weeks' Notice.

But as for my addition, I would have to say Notting Hill. I think it's actually my favorite chick flick ever.

WhiteRabbit said...

You all are obviously way too young. . .

How about "Love Story," "The Way We Were," "An Officer and a Gentleman," and "The Goodbye Girl?"

And finally, though I have to admit Nicolette Sheridan was pretty hot in her minor role, I came away pretty impressed with John Cusack and the movie "The Sure Thing."

Heidi Rodeback said...

While You Were Sleeping

My Big, Fat Greek Wedding

The Scarlet Pimpernel (Jane Seymour)

stupidramblings said...

Aren't all of those titles the same movie?

Plot of each of these movies:

Someone loves someone else, but the relationship has too many barriers to possibly surmount in a lifetime, let alone a two (or four) hour movie. The obstacles get surmounted, people kiss and then someone dies.

Don't even try to argue with me; I speak the truth.

One of my favorite movies of this Genre (and I mean this seriously) is Cyrano de Bergerac (1990 starring Gerard Depardieu). You have to read subtitles, but it's the best film adaptation of a classic story I have ever seen...

alisonwonderland said...

I have to agree with The Way We Were and You've Got Mail. And how about Shall We Dance?, St. Elmo's Fire, The Joy Luck Club,and Serendipity? And then there's my all-time fav Some Kind of Wonderful!

alisonwonderland said...

And A Walk to Remember!

Nemesis said...

I absolutely hated An Affair to Remember. But I love all the other movies on your list!

And I'm glad that Heidi gets it about The Scarlet Pimpernel. Anthony Andrews is the hottest.

N.F. said...

I'm not sure if it's technically a chick flick, but ONE of my favorites is Grease. Grease is the word. Really.

ambrosia ananas said...

I have not seen eight of the twelve movies listed, and have no desire to. I suppose this means I won't be able to bond with the newly enlightened men.

David Rodeback said...

Re the tragedy of not being able to bond: No matter. Bonding is so last decade. I hope. I earnestly hope.

Destiny said...

White Rabbit! Hot!? Oh my gosh! How could you!!!!!!!!!!!