Wednesday, August 2

She is the perfect model of a modern Major General

Actually, Lola is the perfect model of a modern police sergeant. She is currently attending a dramatic arts camp in California, where they are putting together a production of Gilbert and Sullivan's classic, "The Pirates of Penzance."

Lola auditioned for the role of Ruth, but since there were so many girls and very few boys, the directors asked a few of the girls to pay boys' roles. She was a little disappointed, but still excited to be cast in one of only six leading roles. Also, she'll get to do a little more comedy in this role, and she likes the sergeant's solo better, too. So overall, a win/win for Lola and the camp.

My mom called yesterday and said, "I'm just realizing how stress-free my life is [without kids around]. I'm a nervous wreck!" She was biting her nails, worrying about what would happen if Lola didn't get a role, how she would take it, etc., and I am sitting up here in Utah being very philosophical about the whole thing. This is a luxury I am afforded when the kids aren't under my immediate supervision. The last time Lola auditioned for something, I burst into tears when we finally found out the results. (Tears of joy.)

So congratulations, Lola! I'm so proud of you.

No comments: