Monday, October 10

Bloggle

Boggle is my favorite game. Correction: Boggle is my favorite board-type game. The Chickens can never be replaced now that they have found their way into my affections as Best Online Game Ever.

The Spirit of The Chickens was with me last night, when I played Boggle Deluxe against mamaj, daltonboy, and DBJ. This is not to say that they (The Chickens) made me really good at it, but they did help me win. I didn't quite reach my goal of surpassing all the other players' scores combined, but I came pretty close.

How The Chickens helped was, I was able to come up with all kinds of combinations of letters that no one else in the English-speaking world recognizes as actual words, and then when they were disputed, I could say, "The Chickens accept that word!" Who can argue with The Chickens? Daltonboy tried, but I didn't think he was very good at it. It just came out sounding bitter, and smacked of poor sportsmanship.

Boggle is not daltonboy's favorite game.

Oh! Then, when people tried my trick and came up with unreasonably silly combinations of letters (such as "glanx"), I could make a judgement by simply clucking uncomfortably as The Chickens do when they suck the rotten eggs back up into their backsides.

I had no beef with the other players, but I must say I did get a certain amount of satisfaction out of showing DBJ who is The Currently Reigning Queen of the Universe. This because after church yesterday, on the way home, I was treated to this conversation:

DBJ: So, what? Did all your makeup rub off or something?

Me: Huh? No. What are you talking about?

DBJ: Because this morning you looked all . . . pasty . . . like you had tons of makeup on or something, and now it's all gone.

Me: Huh. [I look in the mirror--I look fabulous, of course] Well, no. I still have the same amount of makeup on that I did this morning.

DBJ: Oh. I don't think so.

Maybe he had sleep boogers in his eyes still. Maybe it was the glare of coming out into the bright sunlight. Maybe it was the glare from my almost-totally-exposed, lily-white chest (see yesterday's post). Maybe some people don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

Me (smiling evilly, speaking sweetly): How about a game of Boggle?

Blukawwwwwk!

4 comments:

MamaJ said...

I'm just proud that I more than halved your score! I concede that you are the reigning queen of the "Boggle" universe. And you were quite gracious not to rub our noses in it too badly (probably because you didn't want to alienate us against future slaughterings, I mean games).

I dare say, however, that I pose at least somewhat of a challenge in the Scrabble world, even though you've been known to beat me there too. I'll get you my pretty (evil cackle).

Christian said...

I curse you and your chickens. Ever since you mentioned that game . . .

However, it makes me want to take up Boggle again. I haven't really played since one of my roommates got married years ago and decided that he would rather spend Sundays with his wife instead of playing Boggle with me.

Cicada said...

Bring it on, BFF. When we get together for our Boggle and Brie, and if you actually trounce me, then I'll pull out the big guns and challenge you to speed Scrabble. And just think: I've got a good year's head start on you with the chicken practice.

(The reference to you clucking like the chickens when sucking the rotten eggs back up into their backsides made me go purple in the face, I swear to you.)

ambrosia ananas said...

Anyone who 1--squawks like a chicken and 2--plays that game is someone I must pay homage to. So it's a good thing you're cool and stuff anyway, so that I am not misdirecting homage.

(I shouldn't admit this in a public forum, but squawking in a manner most fowl has long been my unintentional but successful strategy for beating my brothers at foosball. I really have no game without my chicken noises.)

Also, congratulations on your yard sale success. I love yard sales.