Monday, October 31

Primary Responsibility

My primary responsibility is to nurture my children.

My other Primary responsibility is 1st counselor in our ward Primary.
My other Primary responsibility is secretary in our ward Primary, because we currently don't have one, and no one else knows how to do it.

Anyway, the fun part of my Primary responsibilities is to listen to hilarious things the kids say. If I can get one good one a week, I decide to come back and do my job again next week. This week I have two.

1) Practicing for the Sacrament Meeting Presentation and a kid gets up to the microphone and suddenly decides he doesn't like his line. He thinks this over while he hold the microphone in both hands and breathes loudly into it.

Sunbeam Kid: I want a new one.
Me: Nope, sorry. You don't get a new one. Say, "I am a child of God."
SK: No. I want a new one.
Me: Okay, well, you can say it, or you can sit down. What's it gonna be?
SK (still holding and eating microphone): I am a child of God.
Me: Good job. Now siddown.

2) Sharing time on choosing the right.
Teacher: What happens if your friend is having a birthday party on Sunday at Chuck E. Cheese and you really, really want to go?
Everyone shouts: You don't go!
Teacher: Right!
One kid: That happened to me one time, and my parents made me go.
Teacher: Humph. Too bad your parents are going to hell and you won't ever see them again.

Just kidding. The teacher didn't say that last part. But her face did. It was awesome.

So next week, I'm in charge of the "Your Parents Are Going To Hell" lesson. I can't wait.

4 comments:

Limon said...

My favorite moment as a substitute primary teacher before my mission was this: Six-year-old Caleb is giving a talk and making all the kids laugh loudly with his slightly inappropriate behavior. He raises his hands above his head and in triumph screams, "AAAAHI'm FUnny!" And more laughing. I guess he was right.

Christian said...

My favorite part about teaching in the Primary is that the kids tell you sooo much and they don't even realize it. For example, when I taught the Sunbeams, I knew everything that was going on, even which daddies were in trouble because they slept on the couch. Again.

Desmama said...

Edgy--no way! That is too funny. The Sunbeams are so honest.

FoxyJ said...

A few weeks ago I was teaching a sharing time about the sabbath day and a little girl who was visiting piped up with "but I go to movies and go shopping on Sundays". Luckily she was only about 5 so we were able to just keep going...
Last year another little girl raised her hand and announced to all of us that her mom had a baby in her tummy. None of us knew that at the time!