Some people have a hard time getting complimented for their new haircuts.
At church today, the Very Nice Man who goes to visit his wife in the convalescent hospital every day, even though she doesn't recognize him or know how to speak, and who gives me a nice hug every week and tells me I'm wonderful, came up to me.
VNM: That's a new dress, isn't it?
Me (excited to get a compliment, because I got the jacket for $2 at Kohl's, simpering): Yes.
VNM: I knew it!
Pause.
Me: Yeah. Yeah, it's new.
VNM: I knew I hadn't seen it before.
Me (I can see you're not going to compliment me, so I'll try to make the best of it): Well, I guess you'd remember if you'd seen something this bright before, wouldn't you?
VNM: Yes, I would.
Another pause.
Other woman sitting in the foyer: Well, I like it.
Me: Thanks! Do you want me to give you my pin? Because I'll give it to you. I'm that grateful for the compliment at this point.
2 comments:
How old is he? Maybe he forgot he was in the conversation altogether. When in doubt, blame Alzheimer's!
hahahahahahaha! Like the time I asked Ambrosia if she liked my cool new bag and brooch. "The bag really is fantastic!" "And the brooch?" "The colors are great!" "You don't like the brooch, do you?" "No. I don't like the brooch."
Post a Comment