Lola's class is currently studying Egypt. For Halloween, they were required to go to school dressed up in some kind of Egyptian costume. Most of the girls predictably showed up as Nefertiti, Isis, or Cleopatra. Lola, being Lola, was Anubis. God of the Dead. The guy who's in charge of mummification and has the head of a jackal. As I was putting on her makeup this morning she asked, "Mom, do you think I'm eccentric?" "Why do you ask," I said. "Well, it's just that the other girls all want to dress up as princesses. I think I'm eccentric." "I like it that you're different and creative," I said. And I do. And here she is.

Daltonboy, Jr., went to school today wearing this shirt. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Halloween costume, because he's worn it to school several times this year. Selected by him, and I had nothing to do with it. When you see it, you may be able to fathom a little easier the reasons for my selecting the
Don Ameche Shirt and purchasing it for him. Except that one is ugly, and this one is cool. I almost give up, except I'm too proud to give up. I'll keep trying, and sometimes I'll get it right.

Happy Halloween!
7 comments:
I'm with savvymom there.
But I have decided that Lola is The Coolest Girl Ever. Anubis is far more interesting than Nefertiti, Isis, and Cleopatra combined.
This sounds like as good a time as any to teach your daughter about the wonders of eccentricity, the doors it opens, the joy it brings!
Hooray for her!
I love Lola's costume, and I love the fact that she didn't choose what everyone else was choosing. It's not called "eccentric." I think that eccentric means very, very strange. Instead, Lola is being refreshingly individualistic. And that is very important.
That shirt on the other hand may be interestingly individualistic. Well. Some decisions are better than others. What else can I say? I had a greased, short perm in 7th grade and wore very bright lip stick.
.
Shirt: ugly.
Anubis: .... well, never in my life have I had a costume idea half as good as Anubis.
Lo lo lo lo la-LO-LA
Co co co co ca-CO-LA
I have been waiting for an excuse to recall that song...
Stupid
Ten points to Lola. That's a very cool costume.
I LOVE Lola's costume. And several brownie points should also go to her mother for making much of it.
Now for the shirt. I have seen that shirt, and my first impression was I LOVE IT... for a girl (for me in particular, except that I I'd look hideous in it because orange is not my color). I think it's a little odd for a boy. However, since we're singing the praises of kids who aren't afraid to be themselves - eccentric even - I can't condemn a boy who would wear it.
Post a Comment