Wednesday, October 5

Night of the Living Dead

I suffer from Hormonal Insomnia. My diagnosis, based on no medical training, years of field research, and the fact that as the hormones fluctuate, I tend to lose a lot of sleep.

A typical night goes like this:

10:30 p.m. to approximately 11:00 p.m.: read, fall asleep
5:30 a.m.: wake up when daltonboy leaves for work, kiss, kiss, iloveyouhaveaniceday
5:31 a.m.: sink back into deeper sleep
7:00 a.m.: wake up to alarm, listen to NPR for a while, get up before daltonboy, jr. leaves at 7:20

It works for me, and I kind of like it that way.

Here's what happens when Hormonal Insomnia kicks in, as it did just last night:

10:30 p.m.: read, fall asleep
3:00 a.m.: daltonboy gets up and stumbles into the bathroom. (Keep in mind we have one of those beds you can drop a bowling ball on from the top of the Empire State Building and the person on the other side won't wake up.) I may as well do the same, as long as I'm awake.
3:01 a.m.: Stumble into the bathroom, removing the quilt from the top of the bed, since my body temperature appears to have risen to approx. 110 degrees Farenheit.
3:03 a.m.: Return to bed.
3:10 a.m.: Think about upcoming responsibilities and what to do about them in the morning.
3:20 a.m.: Tell self that obssessing about upcoming responsibilities will not help me fulfill them if I'm dead to the world.
3:21 a.m.: Start thinking about other stuff, like what it would be like to be a little tiny fairy and fly around and sleep in flowers.
4:15 a.m.: Think about what to post on blog over the next few days.
4:35 a.m.: Consider getting up and blogging right now.
4:50 a.m.: Get out scriptures and start reading.
4:53 a.m.: Doze off.
4:56 a.m.: Waken abruptly to daltonboy writhing around, experiencing a charlie horse in left calf.
4:58 a.m.: Listen to DB's deep breathing as he falls asleep again.
5:14 a.m.: Doze off.
5:15 a.m.: Awaken to NPR.
5:16 a.m.: Listen to DB turn it off and go back to sleep.
5:18 a.m.: Listen to DB get up, quietly move around room, get dressed, and go out and make lunch.
5:28 a.m.: DB comes in and thoughtfully puts quilt back on me, thinking I kicked it off, as I am usually freezing. Obviously, he wasn't awake for the part where I ripped it off two and a half hours ago, even though it happened five seconds after he got back in bed after his trip to the bathroom.
5:29 a.m.: Start sweating profusely.
5:30 a.m.: kiss, kiss, iloveyouhaveaniceday
5:31 a.m.: Listen to door close, start thinking about kids, will DBjr. graduate? How much will RHS cry today?, etc.
6:00 a.m.: Listen to clock chime.
6:01 a.m.: Think about blog some more.
6:15 a.m.: Doze off.
7:10 a.m.: Begin dream about Katrina evacuees trying to purchase new homes.
7:15 a.m.: Wake up to NPR, which has been going since 7:00.

Now I can only daydream about what it will feel like to sleep through the night, which I can expect to do on about Friday night.

4 comments:

M. Hatch said...

Ummm...yeah, except for the fairies on flowers thing, I'm with ya sister. My post midnight musings are never anything so...ahem...sweet or peaceful.

Cooper said...

Sounds like a typical night to me! Except for the not sleeping part. And all of the hormonal stuff.

MamaJ said...

Gee, It's a good thing you're a stay-at-home mom with nothing to do all day but lie around and catch up on your sleep (after blogging of course).*

If your hormones are out of line, maybe what you need is some serotonin. I've heard that it can solve just about any of life's physical ailments.**

*This statement is dripping with sarcasm.
**This statement is also dripping with sarcasm.

stupidramblings said...

What YOU call hormonal insomnia, I call a cheese-and-corn-chips-induced dream Saturday night.